If you are thinking that acne is only a teenage problem and it cannot affect adults, then let me make it clear that adults are also prone to acne, though the intensity may not be as much as teenagers. The skin, being the largest and the most exposed organ of the body, is susceptible to a number of problems. The skin is a porous organ (having tiny pores, invisible to the naked eye) which has many sebaceous glands and hair follicles. The sebaceous or oil glands secrete sebum, which acts as a lubricant and avoids the drying of the skin and hair follicles. Acne occurs when excess sebum (or oil) is secreted as a result of which the pores in the skin get clogged. Though acne is more common in the face, it can also erupt on any other part of the body in the form of pimples on neck, back, chest, arms and thighs etc. Acne growth is a common problem seen in adults, with women being more susceptible to it in comparison to men. There are different types of acne like pimples, blackheads and whiteheads, that may develop on the chest. Chest acne, also known as body acne, is actually a pimple, which is a result of pores getting blocked due to overproduction of sebum, accumulation of dirt, dust and dead cells etc. Whiteheads or blackheads present on the chest may become inflamed and erupt on the skin as pimples or zits. If allowed to grow, these pimples may turn into cysts which can be irritating.
Chest Acne Causes
There are several factors which may lead to the eruption of acne. Suffering from acne can be quite a distressing condition, as it can be quite uncomfortable and painful.
- As mentioned earlier, excess production of sebum can lead to the occurrence of pimples on the chest. Due to the overproduction of sebum, poor hygiene and accumulation of dead cells, dirt and dust in the pores. They then form pustules, which may be filled with pus and have a reddish color.
- An imbalance in the hormonal levels is also one of the key factors for observing the eruption of acne on the chest. An increased level of androgen (the male hormone) in the blood can trigger the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum as a result of which chest and body acne can be seen in an increased number.
- Bacterial growth due to sweating, particularly during the summer season, residue makeup, deodorant etc. are some other causative factors for this type of acne. Overuse of creams and lotions on the chest can also clog the pores.
- Some people believe that appearance of chest or body acne is hereditary. This however has not been proven as yet. Body acne can also erupt due to allergic reactions of some food items or medications.
Chest Acne Treatment
Suffering from body acne can be quite bothersome as one cannot wear proper clothes without irritating the pimples and in some cases it can also cause a burning sensation. The acne may also become severe if the clothes keep on rubbing continuously against the skin. In order to get rid of acne, the root cause of the problem must be identified. Once the problem has been identified, then you can get rid of body acne using the below home remedies and treatment methods.
- If you are a victim of chest acne, then it is advisable to wear loose clothes, like cotton clothes, so that the body gets aerated properly. This also prevents accumulation of sweat and dirt in the pores.
- Never prick or prod the pimples as it can only make the condition worse. You can use antibacterial soaps or body acne wash to clean the affected area. Pat dry the skin and apply antibacterial lotion, prescribed by the doctor.
- There are also a few body acne home remedies that are quite effective in treating this annoying condition. Bathing in warm water in which four to five drops of rosemary oil or jojoba oil have been infused can treat these body pimples.
- Applying a paste of cooked oatmeal and avocado can reduce the irritation of the skin and reduce the size of the pustules.
- An effective body acne scars treatment is to rub a mixture of rose water and lemon juice, with the help of a cotton ball. Vinegar also helps in diminishing the visibility of the scars. There are also several clinical body acne scar removal methods that must be done only after consulting a dermatologist.
The appearance of acne anywhere on the body, though not serious, can be a cosmetic concern, hence avoid eating too much oily food as oil may trigger the eruption of this distressing disorder.